Features of universal life insurance:
- Provides permanent, guaranteed insurance coverage..
- Most versatile of all insurance types, can be customized to fit any situation.
- Perfect for people who think long-term and wish for their insurance plan to increase in value over time.
- Contains flexible investment options including guaranteed investments and mutual funds.
- You can deposit money into the account or take money out, just like a bank account... with one major twist: this "bank account" is sheltered from taxation.
- This tax-sheltered feature makes universal life insurance plans a great way to save for retirement.
- When planned right, the money you save by having tax-sheltered savings can help (or even totally) pay for your insurance policy.
Major uses of universal life insurance:
- To provide a means of saving money for retirement. Perfect for use in conjunction with registered retirement savings plans (RRSP's).
- To create an estate (estate creation). The insurance coverage amount is typically greater than the cumulative amount you pay in premiums. This allows you to create wealth for the next generation through the use of life insurance.
- Estate Preservation: Save your estate from government tax erosion, so your family can afford to keep the capital assets you worked hard for.
- Buy-sell agreements for business associates. Partners can use universal life insurance to buy out the remaining shares of a business in the event of one partner's death
- Final Expenses: These can include funeral costs, court expenses related to probating your will, and other taxes associated with distributing your capital assets.
- Create a Legacy: Make a charitable donation to a church, school, or other organization.